Call us: 1-800-801-1569

Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Inmate Driver

The family of a 47 year-old woman is filing a wrongful death lawsuit after her minivan was struck by a vehicle driven by a Nebraska prison inmate. The family has filed the wrongful death lawsuit against the state of Nebraska, the state corrections department, and the inmate who was driving for $5 million.

The accident occurred on June 25 on a residential street when the inmate ran head-on into the female.

The driver is a 35 year-old inmate who was driving the state van. The inmate has a history of drug abuse and a poor driving record that includes two DUIs. He is currently serving a sentence for possession of an illegal substance. Witnesses of the accident reported that the driver was swerving in and out of traffic and speeding.

The deceased woman worked as a nurse’s assistant and was a mother of three children. She died at the scene of the accident. The Department of Correctional Services ended the inmate driver program ten days after the crash. The program was launched in 1985. While there has been other accidents involving inmate drivers this accident is the first to cause death.

Liability of the Corrections Department

The corrections department should have viewed the inmate’s poor driving record and should not have allowed him to drive knowing his past history. Due to their negligence, a woman is now dead. When a party or organization acts negligently which results in the death of a person, the family of the deceased can take legal action. Many families file wrongful death lawsuits in order to earn compensation for:

  • Emotional distress, including pain and suffering
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Medical expenses from fatal injuries
  • Loss of quality of life
  • Loss of guidance and care (if the deceased was a parent)

Personal Injury Attorney

You should contact a personal injury attorney if your family member was fatally injured due to the negligence of another party. A personal injury attorney will work to earn your family monetary compensation for your pain and suffering. Contact us today.

Help Form

This form helps you to get the search you need. In case if you feel like talking to us pls feel to contact through.

Office | +22 004 324 1124